Why India should use Open-Source Software:
1. Get software peer-reviewed by the world's largest software community.
2. Improve national security.
3. Reduce national spending.
4. Reduce foreign debt.
5. Build a stronger educational foundation, especially in Computer Science.
6. Join a common ecosystem of co-prosperity with China.
1. Initial cost to make the transition.
How should India use Open-Source Software?
1. Create a national Operating System distribution derived from Ubuntu Linux.
2. Mandate the use of the national distribution for all branches of government, and in public education.
3. Teach only non-proprietary programming languages in the Computer Science curriculum.
What may happen if India uses Open-Source Software?
1. Online support services will be built up in several local languages, to answer frequently asked questions about Open-Source software. Efforts like this are best left up to free enterprise.
2. Indian Computer Science students will gain deeper insights and a competitive advantage.