Saturday, March 30, 2013

Eternal Life


What does "Eternal Life" mean? Life that goes on, and on and on? A stream of consciousness that continues past one's death? Does one really live forever?

Will I be reunited with my loved ones? How about my dog? I really miss my dog.

Will I live on among the stars and in the cosmic dust? After the end of the Universe, will I live on in spirit?

Is Life really Eternal?

Many religions are avoidant of death. There is a lot of psychological payoff in creating a cosmology which banishes death. Just make believe that the term "cease to be", doesn't apply to you. "Not really. It does, but it doesn't. I don't want to die, and luckily, I won't have to. It's complicated!"

Suddenly, a mortal fear is lifted. You don't have to think about the termination of your qualia.

Life is so wonderful. I wish it would go on forever. Wait, do I really want that?
Death is not only real, and inevitable, but final. I tend to favor the term "no more", to the term "gone to meet its Maker".

I leave you with a memory fragment from my Hindu upbringing.

Yaksha: What is the greatest wonder in the world?
Yudhisthira: Every day, many people die. Yet the living wish for Eternal Life. This is the greatest wonder in the world.